Young Sportswriter – Terms & Conditions
Football School/Guardian Young Sportswriter Competition Terms and Conditions
- This competition is promoted by Walker Books Ltd., a company incorporated in England under registered number 1378601 and having its registered office at 87 Vauxhall Walk, London, SE11 5HJ (the “Promoter”) and is not open to employees of the Promoter, their families and anyone else professionally connected to this competition
- Please ask your parent or guardian to submit your competition entry for you and DO NOT submit your entry yourself
- Entries to this competition may only be submitted on behalf of a child aged between 7 – 12 years old who is resident in the UK or the Republic of Ireland. To submit an entry you must be the parent or legal guardian of the child entrant. You must follow the entry instructions given, providing all the information requested. Only one entry is permitted per child.
- The competition will run from Tuesday, 2nd April 2019 until Sunday, 19th May 2019
- Closing date for entries is 6 p.m. on Sunday, 19th May 2019
- Entries must be submitted via the Football School website www.footballschool.co/guardian online entry form or by post to Marketing Department, Walker Books, 87 Vauxhall Walk, London, SE11 5HJ with Football School/Guardian Young Sportswriter Competition and relevant age category in the subject line, before the closing date. The age categories are: 7-9 year olds; and 10-12 year olds.
- The competition entry must be a piece of sports writing (about any sport) which can be either a 600-word match report on any sporting event that has taken place, or a 600-word profile about a sports person of your choice (must be real event/person).
- The entry must include the name and age of the entrant at the date of entry, and an email address or postal address (if submitted by post) for the parent/legal guardian who submits the entry. The name of the parent/legal guardian must also be provided.
- Entries containing invalid e-mail addresses will be automatically disqualified
- Entries received after the closing date for this competition as stated will not be considered
- No purchase necessary
- The prizes offered for this competition are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative; in the event a prize offered is unavailable a similar prize of greater or equal value will be substituted
- There will be one main prize winner and two runner up prize winners in each age category, selected from all valid entries received by the closing date
- The judges will include the authors of Football School and various Guardian columnists, writers and editors. They will be looking for a piece of engaging and exciting writing that clearly tells the story of any sports match or sports person’s life and what makes that piece memorable compared to other entries
- Each main prize winner will be invited (along with one parent or guardian) to attend a Premier League football game in the 2019/20 season ‘as a journalist’ (“the Game”) and have the opportunity to be a cub sports reporter for the day, watching the Game from the press box. Costs of up to £500.00 for each main prize winner will be covered, to include: food/drink (on a strictly reimbursement basis, subject to the winner providing the Promoter with relevant food/drink purchase receipts); return UK/Ireland travel (from winner’s home to the Game); and overnight accommodation (dependent, at Promoter’s discretion, on distance travelled to the Game). All travel and accommodation will be chosen and booked by Promoter. The main prize winners will not be able to choose the Game which they attend. However, if there are reasons why a winner’s attendance at a selected Game will be particularly difficult, the Promoter will make every possible effort to allow that winner’s attendance at an alternative Game. The two main prize winners will also have their winning competition entries published by The Guardian (in print and/or online, at The Guardian’s discretion). The Guardian reserves the right to edit the competition entries for the purposes of publication.
- Each runner up prize winner will receive a Football School prize bundle including signed copies of the Football School series and Football School goodies e.g. medals, certificates, stickers
- The winners will be notified within 30 days after the closing date
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries that are late, lost, damaged, illegible or corrupted in transit
- The winners must claim their prize within 30 days of notification by the Promoter otherwise they will forfeit their prize
- By entering, all entrants grant the Promoter and The Guardian a worldwide, royalty-free perpetual, non-exclusive licence to edit, publish and use their entries in any and all media (including print and online).
- By entering, the main prize winners consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by the Promoter and The Guardian without payment or compensation
- The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- By entering this competition, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions which may be amended at any time by the Promoter
- The rules of this competition shall be governed by UK law
By entering this competition, an entrant is providing his/her personal data to the Promoter as “data controller”. Any data submitted by entrants will be used by the Promoter only for the purposes of administering this competition and will not be shared with other companies except to the extent necessary to provide the prize and to exercise the publicity rights granted above and all data will be deleted following completion of the competition, unless otherwise stated in the entry details